Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brightwood Day

V, Wise, and I strolled over to Brightwood Day. For anyone that didn’t see the three enormous banners on the intersection of Piney Branch and Georgia Avenue, Brightwood Day is a neighborhood festival that was held July 18, 2009.

As far as neighborhood festivals go, it definitely leaned on the family & church side. Everyone there was either over 45 years old or under 12. V wouldn’t let me go in the moon bounce, I was too lazy to stay for the tug-of-war (I developed a strong case of the ‘itis, more on that later), and given that I was wearing MAC makeup, I wasn’t going anywhere near the face painting. There was a large stage set up in the middle of Tuckerman Street where various performances took place. While we were there, a comedian did an act and a rather good neo-soul singer took the stage. The grassy area was lined with booths that featured everything from the Brightwood Community Association info, the Brightwood Heritage Trail, volunteer opportunities, over-priced jewelry, and anti-war literature. The anti-war literature looked kind of sketchy and given that I have a good government job that I would really rather keep, I gave that booth a wide berth. But V and I found out some really good activities and resources that we’ll experiment with and highlight over the next few posts.

Given that with the exception of Safeway, Brightwood Bistro, and the carryout, finding food in Brightwood is practically impossible (as far as we’ve discovered; if anyone out there has any suggestions, I would love love love to hear them), so I didn’t expect much in the way of festival food. There was a stand selling popcorn, water bottles, and cold drinks but there was a stand selling real food. The stand was from Haydee’s Restaurant and for $5, you got a Styrofoam container full of fried food. And I mean fried. There wasn’t a vegetable to be had, not even fried okra. I could feel my cholesterol rising with each chicken finger but it was pretty good. After wandering around a bit and shaving off years of our lives with the fried food, we were ready to call it quits. Especially since we kept getting vacation bible school flyers shoved in our faces. All in all it was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment